Congratulations…you just purchased your Jumpstart policy! You have taken a proactive step to be financially prepared when the next large earthquake hits California. While you can rest easy knowing you have secured your first line of defense against earthquakes, maybe you still have questions about your policy. This post is for you!
This post is Part 1 in a 4-part series for new Jumpstart customers. It contains useful information, links, and special offers. Consider this your Jumpstart user manual! This first post answers some FAQs. Next in the series: a deep dive into Jumpstart’s claims process.
Jumpstart Quick Facts
- Payment eligibility is based on shaking intensity.
- Locations that are coded on the USGS shake map as experiencing “severe” shaking–peak ground velocity (PGV) of 30 centimeters per second or more—are eligible to file a claim for $10K payment.
What’s so special about 30 cm/sec? Why not Richter Magnitude?
Shaking intensity is a more reliable measure of disruption. An earthquake with a high Richter magnitude but deep in the earth might not even be felt. On a color-coded USGS ShakeMap, 30cm/sec is roughly equivalent to the “red zone.” It’s intense enough to cause extra expenses, but still low enough to be plausible.
- Data used to define payment eligibility are as reported by USGS 24 hours after occurrence.
- Payment require your confirmation that you have or will experience extra expenses or loss due to the earthquake of $10,000 or more.
- You do not need to show receipts or itemize the $10,000 of expenses. The money is yours to use however you need to recover from the quake.
- If you receive a payment from a main shock, you won’t be eligible to receive an additional payment in an aftershock, even if that aftershock meets the aforementioned criteria.
- Aftershocks are defined as earthquakes within 7 days of the first one.
- If you’re not eligible from the first shock you can still be eligible for payment in an aftershock.
- The complete terms can be read in our full policy which you should have also received by email.
How can I reach out to Jumpstart?
There are a number of ways to reach out to us.
- Phone: Call us at 510-891-1753. We answer the phone, even sometimes outside of business hours! If we don’t answer, please leave a message. We do check voice mail and we will call you back.
- Chat box: We have a chat box that can be found at the bottom of our FAQ page. We will respond asap – usually within a few minutes during business hours.
- Email: Send us an email at [email protected] and we will respond asap – usually the same day if during business hours.
- Social media: Send us a message on social media (@yourjumpstart on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram.) We will respond asap and usually within 24 hours.
- Postal service: Send us a letter! You wouldn’t be the first. Our address is:
- Jumpstart Insurance Solutions, Inc.
344 Thomas L Berkley Way
Oakland, CA 94612
- Jumpstart Insurance Solutions, Inc.
Pro tip: As a new customer, you may receive a call from a Jumpstart team member for a quick check-in. Make sure to write down any questions you may have so you can talk with us directly!
What if I have a specific question?
Here are common questions we get asked from new customers. If you have a question about our payout process, the next post is dedicated to just that topic!
How secure is my information?
We use the strongest browser encryption available, and store all of our data on servers in a secure facility.
Can I change my location, credit card, bank account, email, and mobile info if needed?
Yes, log in and you will land on the Your Account page. From there you can to update your information.
Please note, that changing the insured person or location will result in a new policy that replaces the current policy. For a new location, the new premium amount may differ.
Can I have multiple properties covered by Jumpstart or buy Jumpstart for someone else?
Yes and yes. You can purchase Jumpstart for any locations that you live in or own and you can purchase Jumpstart for someone else (keep in mind their premium may be different than your own.)
Do you offer any other products?
Our parametric earthquake insurance is available not just to individuals, but also to businesses and HOAs. For now, Jumpstart is available only for locations in California. Secret tip: something else may be brewing, so stay tuned with our emails and website.
As a Jumpstart customer you also have access to our Jolt Club – a free introduction to the concept of parametric insurance. When a small earthquake (about Magnitude 3 to 5) affects your California address, we’ll text you. Respond “YES” to receive a $5 Starbucks gift card. It’s just as simple as the Jumpstart Insurance payout process for larger quakes. So when you feel a jolt, you get a jolt…of coffee for free!
Can I still purchase other earthquake insurance policies?
Yes! Jumpstart can be purchased as additional coverage for someone who already has a conventional insurance policy. A Jumpstart policy can be a valuable complement to conventional earthquake insurance because it pays quickly, has no deductible, and covers any extra expense, not just property damage.
Do I need to renew my policy every year?
Unless you tell us otherwise, your policy will renew with no action required from you. We will send you an annual reminder that your policy will renew.
Visit our full FAQ page for more.
Are you a new Jumpstart customer? Keep reading! This blog is part 1 in a 4 part series with all sorts of useful information, links, and special offers for new customers. Consider this your Jumpstart user manual! Next up: a deep dive into Jumpstart’s claims process.