Your Jumpstart policy is your first line of defense against earthquakes. It will help you recover faster when our next large earthquake hits California. Now that you’ve improved your financial preparation, what are some next steps to continue getting better prepared for a disaster?
This post is Part 3 in a 4-part series for new Jumpstart customers. Next up: Ways to Spread the Word About Jumpstart. In case you missed them, Part 1 covers general FAQs and Part 2 is a deep dive into the claims process.
Additional Disaster preparation tips
Here are a few of our favorite preparation tips:
- Write down on a piece of paper and keep it in your wallet: the cell phone numbers of your spouse/children/parents and the phone numbers of the school/workplaces where they are during the day.
- Go meet one of your neighbors – you might need to rely on each other.
- Remove any heavy items hanging above your bed.
- Keep shoes next to your bed to avoid stepping on broken glass.
- When you’re out shopping, pick up a solar charger. If the power is out, your phone will be an essential lifeline (or earn a free one, here’s how!)
- If you have a gas water heater, brace it or make sure it’s braced. This prevents it from toppling, which could start a fire.
Looking for more practical preparation tips? We have posts for all that!
|What should I Do Before the Next “Big One”?|
|What Should I Do During an Earthquake?|
|How To Prepare Your Finances For A Natural Disaster|
|Earthquake-Proof Your Home|
|What Is the Safest Place During an Earthquake?|
Stay connected with Jumpstart
Our goal is to support you beyond the insurance we offer with everything from earthquake news and science facts to preparation tips and special offers (like our Jolt Club).
Stay updated with our emails to receive all of our useful content directly in your inbox. Our newsletter will inspire action with anything from upcoming events and recent blog posts to earthquake news and preparation tips. From time to time, we will also share timely earthquake announcements and important updates to keep you informed and prepared.
Follow us on social media for quick updates, science facts, preparation tips and to see when we publish new blog posts. Follow @yourjumpstart on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram to engage with us!